Let me tell you about Joan Didion... My belated tribute to the Icon...

It is impossible for me to ascertain if I love Joan Didion more for her sharp essays or her pristinely edited wardrobe, which forever proved that style is in fact a very significant detail of a point of view. Probably for both.


I discovered Joan's famous 'packing list' in 1990s, when I was in my early 20s and living in Chicago. And like for a lot of women before me, the 'list' resonated instantly and naturally with my subconscious tendency to minimalism. 
It led to carefully edited wardrobe capsules ever since and a whole philosophy on minimalism encapsulated in my Art of Enlightened Minimalism*.

We are now some thirty years later and my Icon once again sums up the identity and a new state of consciousness of the writer in me:

"...it took me some years to discover what I was.
Which was a writer.
By which I mean not a "good" writer or a "bad" writer but simply a writer, a person whose most absorbed and passionate hours are spent arranging words on pieces of paper. 
(...)
I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means."**

All I can say is THANK YOU again Joan Didion.


*The Art of Enlightened Minimalism from The Art Of Happiness: Because Happiness is a Skill
** From Why I Write in Let me tell you what I mean by Joan Didion



Comments

Popular Posts