The Genevieve Effect

My little Genevieve... 

About 3 inches long, nocturnal and introverted, and not like any other pet hamster before her, Genevieve joined our family on the eve of the global pandemic, she helped us through lockdowns and illness, and inspired changes that are... well... you can judge for yourself.

She has awaken my awareness and nurtured my understanding of what it means to be a sentient being. It lead to my heartfelt determination to help to advance animal-free research, and animal welfare in general. 

My gradual embrace of ethical veganism has Genevieve's signature all over. 

Not bad for a tiny hamster.

And finally, she was my midnight companion while I was collating The Menopause Files - I can actually say that she wrote the book with me. It would be a fitting tribute to dedicate the Files to my little Genevieve.



Additional Resources:

Sentient Beings are those who perceive and respond to sensations of sight, hearing, touch, taste or smell. They display their own unique mental formation and consciousness. 

Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill - animals are formally recognised as sentient beings in both the UK and EU law. 













Comments

Popular Posts